How do you know when your child needs speech therapy? If you ask your pediatrician, they may say to “wait and see”. Unfortunately, many pediatricians don’t know the importance of early intervention. Yes, your child may “outgrow” it, but what if they don’t? Children who have delayed speech and language often continue to struggle in school if they don’t get the help they need early.
So what should you look for to know when to seek help? Here is a great list of signs to know when to find a speech language pathologist.
Signs of a Language Disorder
1. Does not smile or interact with others
2. Not babbling at 4-7 months
3. Makes only a few sounds at 7-12 months
4. Says only a few words at 12-18 months
5. Words are hard to understand at 18 months – 2 years
6. Does not use sentences at 1.5-3 years
7. Has trouble playing with other children at 2-3 years
Signs of a Speech Disorder
1. Can not say p, m, b, or h at 1-2 years
2. Can not say k, g, t, d, or n at 2-3 years
3. Speech is hard to understand even to friends and family at 2-3 years
If you see any of these signs, please call us at (904)385-3304 or contact us through our website, https://idealspeech.net We can help you decide what steps to take next.